martes, 2 de octubre de 2012

The Islamic Revolution



As I kept on reading Black Ice, I realized that I didn’t like the book, so I decided to change. Mr. Tangen offered me to read Persepolis, a book that I had once started to read, but never actually finished it or got too far.

A little girl growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution? Must have been tough. At least it was for Marjane Satrapi, narrator of the memoir Persepolis.
Because this memoir is a comic, it does not contain fluent sentences. In my opinion, it is an informal text.
I had never read or knew something about the Islamic Revolution, but now that I’m reading this memoir I am learning how horrible and hard it was. Especially for small kids like Marjane. She was only 10 years old when all of this began.
“Then came 1980:  the year it became obligatory to wear the veil at school. We didn’t really like to wear the veil, especially since we didn’t understand why we had to.” (3) This quote shows how useless and abusive this is. Making ten-year-olds wear a veil that they don’t even know what it is for? Insulting. As I keep on reading, many phrases as the one above are seen. Marjane keeps on commenting on the Islamic Revolution as a good thing, because, obviously, she doesn’t understand what is happening in her society. I just hope that she grows up and does something to help her community. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario